Saturday, November 23, 2019

High School Baseball - Sophomore Season


My sophomore season of baseball was fun because from the beginning of the year when we started practice, I was on varsity full time I finally felt my hard work was paying off. What was concerning was that I haven’t hit varsity pitching before so that could be a struggle to start out. Also, my coach was switching my position. My primary position was first base and my secondary position pitching my freshman year, now as a sophomore my primary is the outfield and my secondary position is pitching. The reason they were switching my position is because the person playing first base ahead of me was a 6’5” junior. Thank God my dad made me play some outfield in travel ball the year before, so the transition wasn’t going to be as bad as it could’ve been. I started the season of not playing a lot for the first 6 or 7 games but then I finally got a shot and then I stayed. I played Right Field and batting 9th, doing average but catching balls in the outfield and getting on base. Then for a couple games I got the play first base, I thought I was done playing first base forever, so I was pretty excited I got to play there again. I got the play there because the guy who was playing there wasn’t producing and I was, so I was getting the chance to play there. Then for a couple games I would be in the outfield again. I honestly didn’t know where I was going to be playing day-to-day. I did pitch some but I was pitching pretty average and I was needed more so in the field. As the season progressed, I played some first base, some outfield and was getting moved up in the hitting line up, I finished the season batting 6th after starting the season batting 9th. The coolest game of the year was our district semi-final game where I had my first error of the year in right field, dropping a line drive hit to shallow right-center, but redeemed myself by catching the next three fly-balls hit my way and laying down a suicide squeeze bunt to score the run that put us up 3-2 and we ended up winning the game. Our final game was the district semi-final game which was a pitching duel and we lost 1-0. Our season ended not as we wanted as we had a record around .500.

No comments:

Post a Comment