Saturday, November 23, 2019

High School Baseball - Junior Season


My junior season of baseball was kind of a blur but still as enjoyable as my freshman and sophomore season, just with added responsibility of being a leader because now I am an upperclassman and have been playing for 2 years so I need to step up and lead. The only way I knew how to lead was just lead by example, because I wasn’t a very vocal person so just leading by example was what I was comfortable with because I was really sure how to be a vocal leader. My role playing wise was the same as sophomore year, initially playing outfield but if need be, play first base. About 2 weeks before the started, during a cold practice the day before a scrimmage I dove for a ball and broke my right hand and was initially out for about 5 weeks but came back in about 4 weeks because it was healed enough to play and I could tolerate the pain. I only missed 2 games because we had like 6 rain delays in those 2 weeks. Fortunately, I was able to come back and have a good season, I played right field most of the season, didn’t play much first base, and didn’t pitch because after the injury I just never really got back into it like before and I didn’t really want to get back into it. I batted 5th throughout the year and played pretty well even coming off the injury, ended the year with a batting average around .330. As a team we didn’t do as well as last year even though last year wasn’t great, wasn’t even that good because I don’t consider going .500 that good. We had a talented team and could’ve and should’ve done better, we went below .500, which is very disappointing, we just never really got on a winning streak, we would win one, lose a couple, win another, lose a couple more. We could just never find it. Our last game of the year was our sectional championship game where you could tell some players on our team just didn’t want to play and a bunch of errors were made. They checked out and were ready for it to be done. The game was ours to lose and we did just that, lose. We almost made a late comeback in the 7th despite the added stress but couldn’t do it. We lost 5-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment