Monday, November 25, 2019

High School Football - Junior Season


My junior season, we got a new head coach, he was actually one of the assistants the year before. I came in as QB1 and one of our corner backs. Our QB2 from the year before became our running back. Throughout camp/two-a-days it was a close battle between me and our QB2 but I won the battle and was our QB1. The big reason it was a close battle was because he had a cannon for an arm and I didn’t. Week 1 was a home and I started, he came in occasionally late in the game in very long-distance situations because he had an awesome arm. We ended up losing the game 6-0. The following Monday, our head coach called me into his office and told me he was switching me to wide receiver because guys were hurt and we needed athletes out there. That could have partially bee the reason but I knew it was because he had a really good arm. I said, “ok”. The rest of the season I was a wide receiver and it look me the whole year to get comfortable out there because you are literally by yourself, its not like playing QB or H-back because those two positions are inside not way out in no-mans land. Also, I was playing corner back this year, this was the first year since 6th grade I would play defense full-time, so I was nervous about that. It took me a couple weeks but I started feeling somewhat comfortable playing corner back but it took me the whole year to be comfortable playing wide receiver. I could catch the ball well sometimes, but other times I had stone hands. When I say this, the balls that we getting thrown my way were mainly in practice. A couple were thrown my way in games but it was my first time playing that position so understandably, our QB didn’t really trust me too much yet. To fix the stone hands, I had my dad toss bricks at me and I had to catch them with my hands and it helps very well to give when you are catching the ball, not keeping your hands stiff because when they are stiff the ball will just bounce off. I played decent this year, most of the plays I made being on defense, but it could’ve been a lot better, and as a team our season could’ve been a lot better. For the second year in a row we went 0-10. Thus far in my high school career our football program has had a combined record of 1-29.

No comments:

Post a Comment