Monday, November 25, 2019

High School Basketball - Freshmen and Sophomore Season


High school Basketball was a short but fun career. I played my freshman and sophomore year before I decided to stop playing. Going into my freshman year, I wasn’t very good at basketball. I was decent at defense, but I wasn’t very good at handling the ball or scoring. I decided that my freshman year I was going to become a better basketball player, so I worked a lot at my ball handling and my shot. I even asked our senior point guard to stay after practice to work with me. That year I started scoring a lot more, I was afraid to shoot the ball anymore. One game I started the game off on fire and they faced guarded me the rest of the game, so I felt pretty dang cool for that. I kept producing so I got called up to JV to play point guard and that was a big deal to me because no other freshman played, let alone start. One big thing I remember from that year is that against our rival team during a freshman game I fell and landed on my left elbow 3 times and when I looked at my elbow it looked like there was a grapefruit on the tip of it. They took me out of the game I had to go to ER, and I found out that inflamed my bursa sac. Going into my sophomore year, the head varsity coach was fired, and the new coach liked my play, so I was going to get some time on varsity. He was a lot different coach that our other one, he yelled a lot more and I enjoyed that because when I get yelled at it makes me work harder. I remember that year there were only two sophomore that actually got to play varsity and playing varsity basketball is probably the most nervous I have ever been. One of my favorite games was when we were playing in a holiday classic and the senior ahead of me wasn’t playing good and I was, so in a high pressure situation when we were only up by 4 with a minute left, I was playing point guard trying to keep us ahead. I only wish I played as good as I did then, the rest of the year. I was very spotty throughout the year. Much like football our basketball program wasn’t very good either.

No comments:

Post a Comment