Saturday, November 23, 2019

High School Baseball - Freshmen Season


Baseball in high school was a blast. I was a 3 three year lettermen and got to play some varsity as a freshman. The positions I played was outfield, first base, and I pitched. My freshman year I was really nervous because it was so new and I wanted to be able to play varsity as a freshman. That year I played first base and practices were some of the scariest things I have encountered because seniors were throwing balls as hard as they could across the diamond and I had to be able to scoop it with ease. I knew playing varsity was going to be a long shot because I was a freshman and we had ten seniors and freshmen don’t play much varsity as it is. As a freshman I was a good pitcher and a couple weeks after my first start in a freshmen game at Lakewood where we won 4-3 and I pitched 7 innings. I got the call up to varsity. My first start on varsity was at home in a tri-meet against Lakewood and Steubenville. That game was one of the coldest games ever. It 25 degrees and raining, but the day ended well because we won 9-0 after 3 innings. I got to play off and on other times throughout the year, I got to pinch run in a close game two weeks later, got to pitch the second game of a doubleheader where the opposing team put 6 runs up on me in the first inning and we still came back and won 12-10, and one day I pitched three innings in a freshman game and then right as the game ended, the trainer from the varsity team came and picked me up and told me I had to go to the game because there was a chance I was going to pitch in a conference game that was in extra innings, but I ended up not getting the chance. and then I got to pinch run in our sectional championship game in the bottom of the 8th and scored the winning run to walk it off on a close play at the plate on a pass ball. Finally, in our district semi-final game, when we were down 8-4 I got put in to pitch and that was the most nervous I have ever been. Coming into a game like that was nerve-wracking and awesome at the same time. I pitched the best I could but we ended up losing by a score of 9-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment