Sunday, November 24, 2019

High School Football - Sophomore Season


For my sophomore football season, I came in as QB3 in the depth chart and it wasn’t looking like I was going to play QB for varsity anytime soon. I did good during two-a-days and on the first play in our two scrimmages I ran for a 70 yard touchdown, which was awesome. Late in our last scrimmage, our QB1 dislocated his knee cap wasn’t about to play week 1, so I was now QB2 for at least a week. During our week 1 game late in the first quarter our QB got hurt and I had to go in. The team we were playing went 8-2 the year before and finished this year at 10-0. I was beyond nervous to play against them because I was a small, scrawny sophomore playing against these absolute MEN. I remember two vary distinct plays when I got in, one was the middle linebacker laying out our running back and then throwing up and pointing at me and then me getting laid out while throwing a screen pass. Safe to say, we got killed that game and the next week I was back on the bench. I played close to half of that season as the JV quarterback and I was trying to play as hard and as best as I could because I felt I should play on varsity.  At like week 4 or 5 I got moved to H-back on varsity. The H-back is a hybrid running back/wide receiver/tight end. Getting moved there was awesome because I was getting balls thrown my way and I actually enjoyed blocking and I was finally playing varsity permanently, it was cool because it was awesome being in the trenches and seeing the offense from a different perspective. But, initially after the switch in the positions, I had to ask a lot of questions about what to do because I was unsure, playing QB I knew what people were doing but it was entirely different actually doing it. The coolest part about playing that position, is that I had reverse play for me called, “45 Colorado”, and during the last game of the season against our crosstown rivals, my buddy and I had to block one of their linebackers at the same time and when we hit him we went flying and it was probably one of the funniest things ever. We ended up going 0-10 which obviously wasn’t good. We were awful, but our best game of the year was against our rivals we ended up losing 42-20 but we kept it close for a while, and this was the year our rivals made it to the state semis.

No comments:

Post a Comment